Inspired by Colleen, I wanted to try to make peppermint flavor luna bars. The “nutz over chocolate” ones are almost gone and they’re so good! So for this recipe, I played around with Katie’s recipe a little bit and made some additions.
PEPPERMINT LUNA BARS inspired by /adapted from CCK
- 2 c rice crispies
- 1 c old fashioned oatmeal
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 3/4 cup brown rice syrup
- 2 T protein powder (optional)
- 2-3 T cocoa powder
- 2 mini candy canes, crushed
Coating – Low Sugar
- 4 T coconut oil
- 1/2 c + 1 T cocoa powder
- 1 t to 1 T honey (to taste)
- 2-3 drops peppermint extract
1. Put the almond butter and b.r. syrup in a small microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. It should bubble up.
2. Mix the protein powder, cocoa, crushed candy canes, rice crispies and oatmeal in a large bowl and dump the almond butter & syrup on top of it and mix. It was a bit dry so do your best to combine.
3. Spread into an 8 x 8 foil/parchment paper lined pan and press down.
4. Make the topping – melt the coconut oil and mix in the cocoa. Add the honey or whatever sweetener you prefer and add more to taste. I like it pretty bitter but add as much as you need. Then add the peppermint. Tasting it after that gave me massive heartburn so I don’t recommend tasting it after that. Do not overdo the extract – that is some strong stuff!
5. Spread topping along the top, stick in the fridge 30 min minimum. Cut and store in the fridge!
They aren’t the real thing, but they are darn good!!